- Youth Transitions in Africa
- AU-ILO Youth Employment Strategy
On 29th June 2023 at 15:00 CEST, under the auspices of the Global Initiative on Decent Jobs for Youth, the International Labour Organization (ILO), in partnerships with the Mastercard Foundation and the YouthForesight, is organizing a webinar on youth employment and school-to-work transitions in Africa.
This online event will disseminate the conclusions of analytical briefs on Rwanda, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal and Uganda and a cross-country review on youth employment, school-to-work transition and the impact of COVID-19 on youth labour market outcomes in the African region. It will also underpin the ongoing engagements on promoting decent work for youth in the African region, and explore possibilities for shaping follow up actions in line with the ILO’s Youth Employment Action Plan (YEAP) 2020-30.
Organizations working on youth employment policies in Africa and young people aged 16-35 interested to learn about major youth employment and school-to-work transition trends in the African region are particularly encouraged to join.
- 15:00 – 15:05 Opening and high-level event overview, Sara Elder, Head of Employment Assessment and Economic Policies Unit, International Labour Organization
- 15:05 – 15:10 Overview of Mastercard Foundation Research Programme, Eunice Muthengi, Director of Strategic and Program Research at Mastercard Foundation
- 15:10 – 15:20 Introduction of YouthStats, Vipasana Karkee, Statistician, Data Production and Analysis Unit, International Labour Organization
- 15:20 – 15:35 Presenting the results of the analysis, Niall O'Higgins, Senior Employment Research and Technical Specialist, Employment Analyses and Economic Policies Unit, International Labour Organization
- 15:35 – 15:40 Reflections on youth employment and labour market deficits from a youth participant (TBC)
- 15:40 – 15:50 Questions and Answers
- 15:50 – 16:05 African Union – ILO Strategy on Youth Employment in Africa, Jonas Bausch, Youth Employment Specialist, ILO Regional Office for Africa
- 16:05 - 16:10 Reflections on youth employment priorities and solutions, Alice Mukashyaka, Advocacy Manager for Livelihoods and Education, Restless Development Rwanda, and Nestor Atukwatse, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Coordinator, Restless Development Uganda
- 16:10 – 16:25 Open exchange and discussion
- 16:25 – 16:30 Concluding observations & wrap up